Wednesday, October 31, 2012

No Tricks Just Treats

Tuesday morning, the little ones and I got up and quickly headed out the door. Voting was the FIRST thing on my "to do" list for the day, and I had hoped to be there when the doors opened.  I was keeping my fingers crossed that I would experience short lines and little wait time. Unfortunately for me, the line wasn't that short. In fact, we waited outside for nearly 20 minutes before even entering the building. That's a good sign though, right. Lots of people are voting;)
Once inside, the line moved pretty quickly AND because I was voting at a fire station, there was plenty of exciting things for the kids to look at while we waited. 
I tried to explain to them what an important thing mommy, and all the other people there, were doing. I told them that many men and women had given their life so we could have the privilege to vote.
Yeah...I'm not really sure how much they understood, because the minute Shane got home from work that night, all the little ones could talk about was the big red fire engine mommy took them to see;)
After we got home, we got right to work in the kitchen. 
Halloween Treats were on the agenda for the day.
The first one we conquered was...
Candy Corn Snack Mix
I don't know about you, but I love me some candy corn. Miss AK is totally addicted to the stuff  too. In fact, its the ONLY candy she really likes. It's also the treat we used as a reward for her potty training successes.
The girl is serious about her candy corn;)
I'm sure there's a formal recipe, but I usually just throw in whatever I have on hand.
Yesterday we used:
Popcorn
Peanuts
Pretzels
Raisins
Plain M&M's
and
Candy Corn
It makes a ton and so there is always plenty to share. 
I like to package it up and give it as Halloween treats for friends and the boys teachers at school.

The little ones and I also make these Candy Corn Pudding Parfaits for an after dinner treat.
All you need for this one is a box of vanilla pudding.
I divided it in half. Added a little red food coloring to one bowl (in order to get orange), and then layered the pudding in these glasses.
SOOOO easy, and a definite hit with my kids.
 Of course, we topped ours with whipped cream, sprinkles, and candy corn too;
Pure Sweetness!


3 comments:

Sammy said...

It is all so cute!!

Courtney said...

What a great day. I think it is wonderful that you took the kids voting and as an opportunity to teach them about that wonderful freedom that we have. Those candy corn desserts look adorable!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Yummy treats! I think it's great that you took them to vote!