Thursday, August 25, 2011

Third Grade and a Fresh Start!

Today my sweet Corban walked out of the house a Third Grader!

I don't know why, but third grade seems so BIG to me! Like at the beginning of anything new, I could tell Corban was nervous. We've talked and prayed over this upcoming school year so much, but as morning dawned, Corban's stomach was filled with butterflies. I know he's going to have a GREAT year and once we find our groove, it will all be good! 
Corban requested cinnamon rolls for his "back to school" breakfast and so that's exactly what we had.

  Shane was working from home today, so he could walk Cor to school in the morning, AND was able to see him get off the bus this afternoon! 
 This morning, our street was a sea of people, as everyone eagerly made their way to the start of a new year.
 
Our cool Gator mascot was on hand to welcome students as they made there way into the school building. 
Corban was excited to show his daddy his classroom and introduce him to his new teacher.  
After quick introductions, Corban found his seat and began his work. 
I was biting my lip and trying hard to hold back the tears as we waved goodbye! I don't know why, but it's always so hard for me to let go! 

At the beginning of every school year, the boys and I pick out a new devotional to read before they head out the door each morning. 
This year we chose the One Year Devotional for BOYS! 
I really liked this one because the lay out was simple, short, and applicable for their day ahead.  
Shane and I also chose a verse for Corban to meditate on this year too. 
 
During our devotions this morning, we shared that verse with him. 
 Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

I am so... proud of my little BIG guy and trust the Lord to use Corban mightily for HIS glory this year!
It's gonna be a SUPER year!!
(Y'all can start praying for me now...Riley starts kindergarten on Tuesday!) 

10 comments:

Terri said...

Third grade DOES seem so big!!! I can't believe my baby is already in 3rd!! Corban is going to do great! He is such a sweet, wonderful boy. You two are such awesome parents. I love the sidewalk chalk photo. Great idea!! Blessings!

Bethany said...

Yay! So glad he had a great day! I thought about him all day! Can't wait to hear more about it! I LOVED teaching third grade! He will do GREAT!

Kimberly said...

He has a pretty teacher!

Faith said...

What a handsome third grader he is! I know he will do great - he has wonderful parents that have guided him well!

E starts kindergarten tomorrow and I'm beside myself. I just can't believe it!

Meg said...

Oh bless your heart! I literally had a huge lump in my throat while reading this and may have even had to gulp back tears!! i am getting ready to send my son to pre school and for the life of me can't figure out how we got here so quick!! Before I know it, we will be heading to third grade and then to college!! I LOVE the idea of the devotional each morning, amazing idea to fill them up with God's word before they walk out the door!! Blessings beauty!

Caroline said...

Love that you do devo's with him, that is so great!
Ok just asking because I know your in Arkansas (not even sure what town exactly) but do your kids go to Central Park? My mom is a teacher their and they are also the Gators so I just thought I'd ask. Although now that I think about it she started a while back with her kids, so it must not be the same. Schools start much later where you are and why does kindergarten start later? Sorry so many questions. We're not in school until next year, so I am out of the loop.

Devin said...

As one who knows--just KNOW that I am praying for YOU!! :) It is so difficult to send your newborn baby....I mean, your five-year-old....off to Kindergarten! You have a friend who understands, truly.

Melanie said...

What a GREAT first day of school! Cor looks so confident & ready, the cutest 3rd grader I know! I am praying that he has a GREAT year! Love the devotion idea to prepare them for the day, girl you have it together! Hope he had an awesome day & I'm praying for you on Tuesday!!!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Elijah starts 3rd grade this year too! I agree, it seems SO old to say you have a THIRD grader. I don't know why, but something about it. I am having a hard time already too! I hope he is settling in well!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

He's getting so big! I hope he has a great year!