Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BOO to YOU!

Every year our neighborhood participates in the tradition of the "BOO" game! This is such a fun way to kick off the whole fall holiday season and my kids so... look forward to it every year!

Early Saturday morning, as I was heading out the door, I noticed a bucket of treats sitting on our front porch. They had been left the night before by a mysterious someone! We had been BOO'd!!!

Our job was to then pick two more of our unsuspecting neighbors and surprise them with a BOO treat as well.

As soon as evening fell last night, the kids were ready to quietly sneak out and leave our BOO treats on our neighbors porch.


They quickly set the buckets by the front door, rang the door bell, and then hightailed it home, hoping they wouldn't be found out by our surprised neighbors!
I just loved watching their faces as they "rang and ran"! So fun!

Every family then places a little ghost picture on their front door letting other neighbors know they've already been BOO'd. By Halloween, almost every house in our neighborhood will be displaying this little ghost! Such a fun way to spread some Halloween cheer!

What about you...do you all play this game in your neighborhood too?

13 comments:

jen said...

We play this game in our neighborhood as well. We were "boo'd' last week. It's so neat to see other places enjoying this fun tradition!

Kimberly said...

Yes we play this game! its fun!

Love Being A Nonny said...

My daughter does. She lives in Wesley Chapel. They were booed last week. FUN!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I never heard of this game until I started reading blogs. How fun!

Amy said...

We do that! We call it ghosting and the kids LOVE it.

Because of Love said...

That is such a great game! We don't do that in our neighborhood, but I think it is such a cute idea.

I also wanted to introduce myself in "blogland". I met you in real life at Bible study a few weeks ago with Joy.

Love reading your blog and it was so nice to meet you in person too!

Melanie said...

Our old neighborhood used to do this & I thought it was such a fun tradition! There is nothing like surprise treats!

Devin said...

This is GREAT! What a fun game...I've never heard of this before, but I love it!

I may have to strum up some BOOING in my neighborhood! :)

PotterMama said...

that sounds so fun! I'd totally do that if we lived in a bigger neighborhood!

sharontidwell said...

I had never heard of this tradition before before reading your post this morning. I thought it was such a cute idea and wished we lived in a neighborhood instead of 10 minutes from our town. BUT then my friend called me and hour later to say she had been Boo'd and could she do the same for us tonight. What a huge coincidence!! My four little ones are going to have so much fum tomorrow night when we BOO our friends:)

Mary Ann said...

How fun! Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for your grandfather! Also, my boys have a Fundraiser 5K for their Cross Country Team on Sat. My husband and I are running in it along with my 9 yr. Joel. I have been training him for 2 weeks now. The most he has done is about 2 1/2 miles (and stops about 3 times)pretty good for a 9 yr old. Come and join us! My boys need more runners!

Tamara Ann said...

I tried to start this up in our neighborhood last year, unfortunately only one other family attempted to keep it going :( Oh well, it was still fun for us!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

jenny,
i am a "lurker" who was introduced to your blog by a friend. we recently adopted our newest daughter and i have loved reading your adoption and foster family stories. i just wanted to let you know that your blog is a highlight during my computer downtime (which is rare these days with 3 little ones! :)!) i know we put a lot on the line when we put our families' lives on the internet for anyone to read but i just wanted you to know that in doing so, you encourage me! so thank you! :)

erika