Saturday, July 16, 2011

Poison Ivy;(

My sweet little Riley woke up on Friday morning with his legs covered in itchy red bumps! The itch was so AWFUL that  I immediately called the doctor and took the first available appointment. 
Our doctor confirmed what I thought all along...POISON IVY!!!! 
He and Corban had been playing in the woods behind a neighbors house the night before and that's where he picked it up.
His breakout was still in the early stages and unfortunately the doctor said the rash has the potential to get worse.  
 He was supposed to spend Friday evening at a friends house and camp out for the night. I decided that he shouldn't go.  He's not contagious, but I just thought it was a bad idea to send a itchy, irritable, little boy to a over night birthday party! 
So not only does he have poison ivy,
but then he also couldn't attend this much anticipated sleepover as well! 
Talk about being BUMMED!!!
Oh...my poor little guy!!!

The doctor gave us a steroid cream to put on the rash itself. We can also give him Benadryl to help with the maddening itch.
A friend of mine, who's a nurse, said oatmeal baths will help too!
Have any of you had or treated someone with poison ivy before?
Any tips for me?????
I was told this could last for a total of two weeks---UGH!!!!

13 comments:

Sarah said...

i picked up poison ivy twice - and yes, oatmeal baths are great!

Brian & Ashley said...

Oh, poor guy!!! Oatmeal baths do help. Staying cool also helps -the warmer he gets the itchier he will get.

These Are The Days said...

Poor little guy. Hope it goes away fast. Missing parties are never fun, but I think you made the right call. Have a good weekend.

Courtney said...

Oh poor thing. Praying he recovers quickly.

Karen~ said...

Bless his heart! I have poison ivy on my foot now. Evidently, the dog walked through the plant and then rubbed against my foot. If you're allergic to it (and I am), that's how easy it is to get. Another lady commented about keeping him cool. That is so true, the hotter and more sweaty he gets...the more he will want to scratch :(

Good luck and it will get better!

Karen~ said...

Jenny, I opologize if you get two comments from me. My google account asked me to sign in a few times and evidently it was taking all of my comments...lol.

I dislike tech difficulties!

Meg said...

Oh poor babe!! My husband just had poison ivy last week!! He said it was SO uncomfortable. He did say that calamine lotion did really seem to calm the burning itch. When it would burn he would also wrap it in cold clothes which was also soothing. Hoping it passes quickly!!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

Oh no! Your poor little man. Hopefully it will clear up soon!

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry for poor Ri-ri! He still looks adorable though in that picture!! Hope he feels better soon!

Sonya said...

I had it a couple of weeks ago and I used some aloe burn relief spray. It had a cooling effect and it was easy to do a quick spray when the itching started.

Pam said...

When our daughter was younger, we had her swim in a chlorinated pool. It seemed to help dry it up a little faster. We did all the other things mentioned, too. Love your blog, and think you have such a sweet family. Pam

Leslie said...

My hubby has used a product called Zanfel, found at Walgreens, that worked miracles. It's a scrub but the ONLY thing he found for relief. And his cleared up much quicker with this. Worth a try! Poor baby...

Ms. Elaine said...

Google poison ivy pills.....my son won't be without them...they work...